How Carlisle turns new floorboards into farmhouse-style wood floors
At Carlisle, in addition to reclaimed wood flooring, we offer a variety of distressing techniques that can give new floorboards an aged appearance and timeworn texture at a fraction of the cost of reclaimed wood flooring.
Our texturing techniques include:
- Brushed texturing that uses special brushes to degloss or unsmooth new floorboards, wearing away the softer grains to produce the look of a floor that is been worn down over time.
- Timeworn texturing that re-creates the look of wood that has been aged over generations or centuries.
- Hand-scraped edges that employ the same techniques as those used by woodworkers hundreds of years ago to smooth the edges of floorboards before installation, beveling the edges of thicker boards to ease the transition to a thinner board.
- Watermill techniques that recreate look of wood once milled at riverside sawmills, where rough spots and saw marks were randomly left on floorboards.
- Footworn techniques that produce the distinctive undulating pattern of boards that have been walked on for generations.
- Hit or Miss marks that reproduce the saw kerfs or saw swirls of boards that were produced by early sawmills.
Carlisle distressing techniques can be used on solid hardwood or engineered hardwood floors. Engineered floorboards are made with a veneer of hardwood that is glued to multiple layers of a backing material to produce a stronger core that is more resistant to temperature changes and higher levels of relative humidity. Rustic engineered hardwood flooring is ideal for installation below grade, over radiant heat or on concrete slab.
You can also choose to have your farmhouse-style wood floors from Carlisle prefinished, which enables our craftsmen to manage the meticulous tasks of cutting, texturing, staining and sealing your floor in the ideal conditions in our custom shop. Prefinished floors arrive at your home ready for installation, and let you avoid the mess and hassle of having a floor sanded and stained within your residence.
Carlisle distressed wood flooring can be fashioned from any of our hardwood species, making it possible to get a highly tough and durable surface like rustic hickory hardwood flooring, or light distressed wood flooring like Ash or White maple. We also offer a virtually unlimited range of stains for our floors, making it easy to get distressed white wood flooring or darker wood floors as you desire.